HOME>SCENIC SPOTS
West of Longevity Hill
Suyunyan Chengguan (Tower of Cloud-Retaining Eaves)

8(1).jpg

Originally built during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795), this gate tower was also called Beique. Inside the tower, there was once a silver statue of Guan Yu, a historical hero worshiped as a protection-giving god, but it did not survive the ravages of the Anglo-French Allied Forces in 1860. When the Summer Palace was rebuilt during Emperor Guangxu’s reign (1875-1908), a pavilion was erected here with a memorial tablet inside in praise of Guan Yu.