This temple, built on the east bank of the West Lake, used to be known as the Dragon God Temple but was popularly referred to as the Dragon King Temple. When the lake was expanded during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795), the temple and its surrounding land were spared to form a new island, which was named the “South Lake Island”. The Dragon God Temple was reconstructed as a place to pray for rain, and renamed Temple of Extensive Moisture. Since praying proved effective, Emperor Qianlong personally rewrote the inscriptions, giving the temple its present name. During the reign of Emperor Guangxu, Empress Dowager Cixi would often land at the dock in front of the temple when she came to the Summer Palace. She would burn incense in the temple before heading by boat to the Hall of Happiness in Longevity.