HOME>SCENIC SPOTS
Back Lake Area
Tiaoyuan Zhai (Chamber of Distant Gazing)

tiaoyuanzai.jpg

Also known as the “Building for Watching the Temple Fair”, the hall was built during Emperor Guangxu’s reign (1875-1908). The whole structure was built on a high base to provide a broad view. It was built so that the Empress Dowager could watch the Temple Fair, which was held annually outside the north wall of the Summer Palace.