Back of Longevity Hill
Garden of Harmonious Pleasures (Xiequ Yuan)


The Garden of Harmonious Pleasures was first built in the 16th year of Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1751). Modeled on the famous Jichang Garden in Huishan, Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, it was first known as Huishan Garden. It took on the name of Garden of Harmonious Pleasures following its refurbishment in the 16th year of Emperor Jiaqing’s reign (1811). Burned down by the Anglo-French Allied Forces in 1860, the garden was rebuilt in the 18th year of Emperor Guangxu’s reign (1892). The pond is small and peaceful; a winding corridor, composed of over one hundred sections, connects the towers, pavilions, halls, chambers, bridges and terraces along the waterside. These ingeniously interconnected structures form a diverse landscape, making this the best known “garden within a garden” in China.