Long Corridor Area
Hall for Listening to Orioles (Tingli Guan)


Initially built by Emperor Qianlong for his mother to watch operas, this theater with its two-storey stage was named the “Hall for Listening to Orioles” because in old times, people often compared beautiful voices to the singing of orioles. It was burned down by the Anglo-French Allied Forces in 1860 and was rebuilt during the reign of Emperor Guangxu. Before the completion of the Great Stage in the Garden of Virtue and Harmony, the Empress Dowager often watched operas and held banquets here. Now, the hall serves as a restaurant specializing in imperial court cuisine and has become famous for having received over a hundred foreign leaders.